Carrots are otherwise a healthy vegetable to have. However, diabetics are usually weary to eat carrots due to the sweet flavour. Let us find out below if it is safe for all the diabetes patients to eat carrots:
- A diabetic patient is often advised to have food and other items that have a low value of glycemic index. Carrots are a vegetable that has a glycemic index of 41, which means that when you eat carrots it does not lead to a very high spike in the levels of blood glucose in your body.
- It is a vegetable that has a high content of fiber in it. Fiber is really important for you if you have to maintain your body weight. If you are obese, the many complications that will affect you in diabetes will be really high.
- Most of the daily requirement of vitamins and minerals such as potassium and vitamin A shall be met by you if you eat carrots on a regular basis.
- The beta-carotene that imparts the colour to carrots is not just a colouring agent. It has a number of health benefits and a person who has diabetes can actually benefit because of the same
- The vegetable is also a rich source of anthocyanins, which is again beneficial for a person who has diabetes.
Having seen the above advantages of eating carrots in diabetes, you cannot be relaxed and just think of eating any amount of the vegetable. You definitely need to keep in mind the below-mentioned points:
- Do not over indulge in the vegetable. Eating few carrots in a week should be enough. If you eat too much, carrots will increase the level of blood glucose in the body which is really harmful for you. Thus, eat only as much as is recommended by your medical expert
- Keep in mind that you should try to eat raw carrots more than the juice derived from the same. The raw vegetable shall have more nutrition and vitamins intact as compared to the juice form of the vegetable
Thus, if you are a diabetes patient, you can definitely include carrots in your diet, provided you keep the above recommendations in your mind.